Wednesday, December 9, 2009

.
.
Mom and Dad I just want to tell you that I love you so much. I feel so lucky to have both of you as my parents...for many reasons....and also for loving me through the most difficult time of my life.

As an adult I thought I was "done" leaning on my parents.........although it was never a conscious thought, somewhere in my adult brain I thought I had all I needed to get through life- my husband, my own family and a great life. As all that crumbled, you emerged with a presence for me that was perfect. I don't know any other way to describe it. It's not necessarily anything that you did or said that was earth shattering. It is the fact that you were grounded and guided by love for me in its purest sense. You put me first. You listened to me. You stayed with me. You kept things calm. You thought about me. You never judged any thought or action I took. You held me high, and respected every decision I made, knowing well that I was doing the best I could.

I guess that last sentence means the most to me. I know I am not perfect, but you know that I am doing my best, and you treat me that way. It means so much to me.

In a world full of- all types of people- how did I end up with these two parents? I am counting my lucky stars. I am aware of the power of love a parent has for a child, both in the way I love my own children, and in the way that I am loved by my parents.
.
.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I have only been able to witness all of this from a far distance, but I have to say that I have been completely inspired and full of respect and admiration for your parents throughout. I have always thought they were great (way above "average" in the parenting arena), and I have very fond memories of earlier moments in life with them (high school moments here and there, your wedding weekend and your wedding reception specifically, etc.), but even from a far removed distance I have been absolutely astounded by them through the more recent past. I hope that they realize what an inspiration they have been to me and surely many others. I watch and learn.
Love to all the Lords and their loved ones!
Heather

Heather said...

While they are the best parents they are also the best grandparents in the world too <3