Friday, December 18, 2009

.
.
A friend of mine pointed out early on that the stories we all share with Luke and Alyssa are going to be a means by which they know their father. Luke has definite memories but he was barely 6 when Joe died, and Alyssa was 3. I know people who lost their dads at age 3 and largely they have no real memories of him. Alyssa definitely says she remembers Joe, she tells stories and talks about him all the time, but I am unsure if she really remembers him at this point or just remembers the stories. I just don't know. Last night I went to tuck her into bed and she was standing face to face with a picture of Joe holding her that's on a shelf in her room. She turned around with big watery tears in her eyes. "I miss daddy" she said. "I wish he didn't die."
.
Ugh. Anyway.....
.
Because of this reality, I will be posting stories and little tidbits and random facts about Joe on LEFT. I had been writing these stories and snippets privately (not on the blog) because I viewed this as something I was doing for my children, so they will know as best as I can provide about their father. However, I also know that many of you who love and miss him also enjoy these memories. In addition, I know that these things conjure up your own memories of him, and it would be much appreciated if you would write those things down in some form, for my kids. Consider it, please! It doesn't have to be long or perfectly written or anything, just get the memory down before you forget it. All the stories that I tell are from my own perspective, and it would be nice for Luke and Alyssa to hear about their dad from other perspectives too.

Also, when I hear things from others about Joe, it often brings a smile to my face. I love it that he can still put a smile to my face even so long after he's gone.

Please keep in mind that I am writing these stories for my kids, to give them insight to their father in terms of his character and personality, at whatever age or point in life they may searching. You likely will not have an interest in every topic I write about.

I know that there are widows that read LEFT that don't know me in real life, and these stories may not be interesting since they are off the topic of grief. However, I have found that writing these stories are as healing as anything in the process. Early on I could not have written these things, it was too painful. But in time, it came and was something that I wanted and want to do.
.
\
.\

No comments: