Saturday, September 15, 2007

.
Yesterday when Luke and I were driving near the race track, there were a lot of big campers. He was happy and he was excited about where he was going. He said "there are lots of big campers here!" and I said "yes, there are!". They were lined up, one behind the other, waiting to get into a parking lot. Then he said:

"If you hit one of those on a motorcycle, you will die".

My heart sank. He was matter-of-fact about it, but it hurt just the same. It is a reminder that, consciously or unconsciously, this 6 year old's mind is always trying to make sense of what happened to his father. I said "...not always Luke. Daddy was in a very serious accident and that's why he died. But not everyone dies in car or motorcycle accidents".
.
I can barely believe I am having these conversations with my son.
.

1 comment:

Steph said...

It's crazy. But you are so good with him. I'm so sorry his dad didn't get to take him to the track this year. And so happy that his mom and uncle Jeff did.