Thursday, December 11, 2008

"Rare"

Throughout this entire process, starting about a year ago, people have said to me that this case is unusual. I hear the words "rare" and "uncommon" and "never before" quite often.

-The investigator hired by my lawyer said that he has never run into such difficulties in trying to talk to people/ gather information/get people to give statements relating to an accident.

-My lawyer, a laywer for over 50 years, said no case he has ever been involved has wreaked so much of small town politics.

-When there were rumblings of the ever-present issue of how Joe braked his motorcycle in a panic situation when a dump truck drove in front of him, another of my lawyers said he has never heard of such an outrageous claim (that the accident was partly his fault for not using all of his braking power) in a case such as this. This is a senior lawyer at the firm who is 80 years old and has been involved in dozens, probably hundreds of cases involving motorcycle collisions in his career. He told me the investigators did a huge disservice to me and my children in saying that.

-I was told today by a victim's rights advocate that it is extremely rare for a person to appeal their license suspension.

-I was told by a case manager at the Superior Court on Monday that it is extremely rare for the representative from the State to not show up at an appeals hearing.

-I was told by the attorney now handling the case for the license suspension, regarding the fact that the driver's license was reinstated pending the new hearing, "this never should have happened".

-I was told by a victim's rights advocate today when a person's license is suspended it usually is taken away immediately. For some reason the driver in this case was given 15 days to surrender his license. And when it actually came down to it on paper, the hearing date was June 26, 2008 and the paperwork said that the 3-year suspension of driving privileges would be imposed effective July 23, 2008. That's more than even the 15 days. I don't get it. Why?

There are other examples but those are the things that are coming to me right at this moment. I would like to know why this case is so unusual. There is so much uneasiness and unrest in these facts. Though I am sure no lawyer or judge is losing sleep over this case. Just me and other family members and friends who love him. WE are the ones that are paying.

I'll tell you something else that is rare. My husband.


,

3 comments:

Steph said...

Very rare indeed Rob. One of a kind. We all miss himm more than words can say......and we're all very sorry that you are going through this. You are in our thoughts constantly.

Anonymous said...

A FEW WEEKS BACK MAYBE EVEN MONTHS YOU TALKED ABOUT WHAT YOU WERE SENT HERE TO DO. LIKE SOMTHING BIG WAS MEANT FOR YOU. COULD ALL OF THIS BE WHAT HAS BEEN CALLING YOU. COULD YOU MAKE THIS YOUR CAUSE????? COULD YOU HELP OTHER PEOPLE THAT HAVE NOT GOT THERE JUSTICE, JUST A THOUGHT.

Kristine said...

I had a thought, I'm not sure, but do you think it would help to write letters to this judge, on behalf of Joe and his family. Maybe if he/she was aware of how devastating the decision to give this person his license back has affected so many, you may get some answers as to why this has happened. I know that this tragedy has affected everyone who knew Joe and his family personally, and those like myself, who only knew of Joe through the Electronics Industry. I think I speak for many of us who can say, there is not a day that my heart doesn't break for Robin, Luke, Alyssa, and Joe's entire family. This judge, along with the Attorney for the State need to realize the impact of this decision. That is my thought, and I'm not sure what the impact would be, but if it helps anyone to get their feelings down on paper, and give them a chance to feel heard, than maybe it is a step in the right direction.